Friday 24 July 2015

My new favourite vege - Ulam Raja

First had this strange ulam in a mamak mixed rice shop in Shah Alam. It went well with my chicken kurma curry and rice. It had that hint of tangy mango taste which I really liked.

After that, I Googled it to find out it's name is Ulam Raja. Next I wanted to plant it so asked a Malaysian who posted on YouTube about this Ulam Raja. He even sent me the seeds (all the way from Sabah!!) for free. 


Anyway I did receive his seeds safely in an envelope which I did plant and is now growing fast.

At the same time my mom got some from the pasar for just  RM 1 a bunch. She saved the stems and planted it in soil.

After a few days it looked like it was dying.


However after 2 weeks the leaves started growing.

This is after 2 months ....


Together with the grown seeds I now have a good supply of ulam with my dishes ... :) 

Give it a try. This vege can grow from stems/cuttings.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,
    I myself am amazed that the one you planted from stems managed to survive. I think you and mum do have "green fingers" he he. However usually if they are transplanted with some soil with the roots, normally they will grow up without even wilting or drying.

    Of course those grown from seeds will normally grow up until it starts producing flowers and seeds of its own within 2 months. And you will have plentiful of seeds that you then just throw them away. ha ha

    Anyhow here are some more tips:
    The leaves always taste nice when they are young and juicy. Young leaves, that's probably the reason why some people say "awet muda". Well you are eating young shoots with growth hormones anyway, surely some scientist will vouch for that. he he

    But once they started showing buds, those leaves are NOT good anymore, they would taste quite bitter.

    Another strong advice for you, in order to get good looking plants that you saw in my video, you need a large area for the roots.
    Looking at you pot, that is just enough for ONE plant. he he.

    So since it looks like you have a concreted backyard, unlike mine, I got a backyard nearly large enough to build another house, then you just have to buy a few more larger pots and filled them with mixed soil and loam, or if you can get away with it, save all the burnt vegetation and put them in the pot.

    Also the pots tend to dry up very fast so in dry season you just have to water them everyday.

    Good luck. Oops and I forgot , don't give them the commercial fertilisers, they die within one afternoon. I already tried. Just give them nature. Even mulch or rotten grass will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes my mother is quite good with plants.

    Thanks for all the tips. Yes I am not as lucky as you to have a large space to plant things but I already have some pots and a small garden area growing from your seeds (and doing quite well).

    My next experiment may be to see if Ulam Raja can be grown without soil (Aquaponics).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, now I will have to follow you on this. he he

      Delete